I want to firstly thank all of our loyal players, staff, members, supporters and sponsors that have stood by us and kept supporting our club over the past few weeks.
Like many members of the community and businesses, the Covid-19 challenge has had an impact on our club which will be outlined in this letter.
The club is in great hands with a very positive and proactive Board of Directors and Executive team and as a club we are well placed to get through these challenging and unprecedented times. Our players, coaches and staff are making the most of the current suspension and led by Andrew Sturgess, our coaches and our High Performance and medical team, we are finding new ways of staying connected and engaged with the club and eachother.
This week the club shared online some documents which outlined the support for the VFL and included commentary provided by AFL Executive insiders. The comments made by the AFL officials should allay any fears that any Coburg FC member or supporter might have had about the ongoing future and viability of the VFL competition.
The AFL have kept our club and all standalone clubs well informed as things have evolved and that communication will be ongoing.
As for the 2020 VFL season, there has been no change at this point, with May 31st the date that the current suspension will be reassessed. We are hopeful that there’s some football to be played in 2020 and as soon as we have more info we will share it with you. The most important thing is the health and safety of our players, staff and members so any decision will be made with this in mind. Any Government’s restrictions that may be in place at that time will also play a role in any decision, which is why as a community we all need to play our role and follow the social and physical distancing restrictions that the Federal Government has in place.
From a club operations point of view, the club has recently relocated from our Piranha Park home including administration areas, to the Coburg Bowls Club and we were really looking forward to sharing our new home with our members pre-Covid19. We are hopeful though that at some stage in 2020 we will be able to welcome back to the club all of our members and sponsors to be together again.
Changes that the club has made due to Covid-19
- The club’s operations at Coburg Bowls Club is closed to all staff and members effective immediately.
- All membership and merchandise options can be purchased from the club’s online store and all purchased items will be dispatched within 5-7 business days.
- The Piranha Park oval, terracing and grandstand is closed to the public due to the drainage works mentioned below
How to stay connected and informed?
- Head to www.coburgfc.com.au for all club updates.
- Follow/like our social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok. Like, share and comment on posts to stay connected, we want to hear from you too!
- Subscribe to our club newsletter
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require follow upon any questions you may have
Piranha Park Redevelopment update
- The Moreland City Council have recently completed the upgrade works of the external toilet block (Southern end) at Piranha Park.
- The Moreland City Council have begun works on the oval at Piranha Park with $300k being spent on a new drainage system which, once we return to playing at our home ground, should see an even better playing surface quality befitting of our VFL level. New AFL size goalposts will also be installed as part of these works.
- The Moreland City Council’s contract for the redevelopment of the Piranha Park changerooms, grandstand, social spaces and terracing has also recently been awarded to a high quality builder and we are looking forward to the $6.75million project commencing soon.
These developments will help build a very bright future for our club and we can’t wait to share these new and improved spaces with you!
Till the next club update, please stay safe with your families and Go the Lions!