Hawks edge out Lions in anzac round thriller

The Coburg Lions have gone down by 8 points to the Box Hill Hawks in a spirited ANZAC round clash at Piranha Park.

After leading by 10 points at the three quarter time break, Coburg failed to show composure where the Hawks did in the final term, allowing three goals to give Box Hill the win.

The Lions were again led from the midfield, Johns (12 clearances) , Uysal (26 disposals) and Fox (23 disposals) all serviced well by Tom Goodwin in the ruck.

Ahmed Saad was a shining light up front booting 5 goals. He was well assisted by Peter McEvoy (2 goals) and Dylan Tarczon (5 tackles).

First gamer Luke Ryan stole the show to win best on ground (30 disposals and 15 rebound 50’s) taking 4 big marks in the last quarter to keep the Lions in it.

The Hawks managed the first strike of the game, however, it was the Lions who would play the better football early with goals to Saad, Uysal and Schraven giving them an early buffer.

Luke Ryan impressed across half back as momentum changed from side to side, neither team able to convert efficiently.

Box Hill pressed forward, to score late in the term, yet again it was answered by Lech Featherstone who goaled from the pocket after the siren to give the Lions a 15 point first quarter lead.

The visitors started the second with an early one, keen to atone for the first quarter margin. Two goals bought the margin back to four points half way through the term.

Errol McConnell goaled to halt the Hawks streak, however, poor disposal cost the Lions as the opposition took the lead after kicking consecutives.

The Hawks turned the heat up in between the arcs getting easy entry for two more majors. Mathew Merlo couldn’t get a score from his shot after the siren, the half time margin, 13 points.

The lead was brought back to 8 shortly after the break as Peter McEvoy flew and converted. McEvoy again would strike a blow against his old side, drawing scores level half way through the term.

After a period of Box Hill dominance, Ahmed Saad did his best to repeat his Port Melbourne effort a week prior, goaling three times in a row to give the Lions a 10 point lead at 3 quarter time.

The Hawks came out of the block with a bang, goaling early to reduce the lead to a kick, but it was Ahmed Saad again, who would keep the Lions nose in front.

Luke Ryan stood up in defence taking 5 big marks in the defensive 50 to keep the Lions alive.

Half way through the term the visitors would strike three times in a row to edge in front. Despite the Lions best effort they couldn’t cut back the margin, going down by 8 points.

The seniors will head to Simmonds stadium next Sunday (1st May) to take on Geelong.

Best: L.Ryan, R.Fox, A.Saad, L.Johns, T.Goodwin, M.Mattingly

Goals: A.Saad 5, P.McEvoy 2, O.Uysal, R.Schraven, L.Featherstone, E.McConnell