The Coburg Football Club is pleased to unveil the 2021 VFL fixture to its members, players, and staff. The fixture will present Coburg FC members with a very unique and different-looking season, with the construction of our beloved Piranha Park set to take centre stage later in the year with eight back-to-back blockbuster matches. In the meantime, the Lions will be playing eight consecutive away games to commence the season.
To kick the road trip off, the Lions head to Skybus Stadium, Frankston in Round 1 of the new-look VFL competition to take on the Dolphins under their brand new lights on Friday, April 16th at 7.30 pm. Then in Round 3, the team will travel interstate for premiership points for the first time in many years, with a scheduled trip to Brisbane to take on the Brisbane Lions in a Lions-derby. They will then venture up north again later in the season in Round 10 to play Aspley.
June 26th is a date to pencil in the diary with the Lions taking on Footscray in the first game back at Coburg since the 2019 season and with a new facility to unveil, it’s sure to be a massive occasion.
Club General Manager Sebastian Spagnuolo expressed his delight with the 2021 fixture, highlighting the efforts of all the key stakeholders in getting the 2021 season up and running.
“We firstly want to acknowledge the efforts of the AFL staff and our fellow VFL clubs that have worked tirelessly to get this fixture together. With the unknown nature of the AFL fixture, which is a challenge when there are 14 AFL teams in the VFL, along with the COVID-19 pandemic and potential border closures, it definitely hasn’t been easy to create a fixture.
“We are pleased that our Lions members will not be missing out on any home games in 2021 and to have a block of away games and then a block of home games, it should set our season up nicely and hopefully give us a great chance to succeed in the competition both on and off-field.
“From here, we encourage every Lions supporter to become a Lions member because as of right now, it’s our club members that will be given priority access to Piranha Park games in the event of any crowd size caps or limits. You’ll also have to follow the entry requirements and directions set by our competitors if you wish to attend any of our away games in 2021 so please stay tuned to our club’s social media channels in the lead-up to any VFL game in 2021. We will have more information in the lead-up to the season proper over the coming weeks.”
To ensure you don’t miss a moment of the 2021 VFL season, click here to purchase your Coburg membership!
Key components of the 2021 VFL fixture:
- Round 1 commences on April 16th, 2021.
- 19-round season with 16 games played by each club.
- Three byes per club.
- The Lions travel interstate twice – both times to Brisbane to play the Brisbane Lions (Round 3) and Aspley (Round 10).
- Round 14 – Coburg to host the battle of Bell St, which is an all-standalone battle for the first time in almost 20 years.
- Round 16 – Coburg to host Southport for the first time ever.
- Round 19 – Coburg to host the Sydney Swans for the first time.
- Days and times of VFL games can not be set beyond round 3 at this stage because the AFL fixture for those corresponding rounds have not yet been set.
- When a VFL standalone club plays an AFL/VFL aligned team, the day and time of the game will be flexible and unscheduled until the AFL team knows their AFL game day and time.
- The competition features the reserve teams of 14 AFL clubs and eight standalone VFL clubs, six of which are Victorian.
- Coburg will not play against Richmond VFL, Essendon VFL, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants or Casey Demons in 2021.
Click here to watch our 2021 fixture release video