Phil joined the club from the amateurs, and unfortunately broke his arm in the first season, but then went on to play some great football for the club. He played in the 1975 reserves premiership and was a major player in our 1979 premiership win (our first in 51 years). Phil went on to play 205 games, which was only the second player to reach that milestone at the time. Mainly playing as a small forward he kicked 318 goals which is the 4th highest in our history. After retirement he went straight into coaching the senior side culminating in the 1988-9 back to back premierships. He continued coaching until 1992, he soon became President in 1995 and again took on the job in conjunction with Dean Mighell in 2003. He is a great supporter of the club and is currently involved with football and the club’s future at heart. He received life membership in 1984. Phil was selected as coach of the club’s team of the century.
Eric started his playing career with our seniors in 1933 after playing in the reserves from 1926. Eric or as named “TIGER” saw his performances with the reserves rated so highly he was appointed captain of the seniors in 1939. But Eric’s contribution to our history is with the reserves, remembering that in the early days the club was split into two separate clubs ‘The firsts” and “reserves” both with their own committees. Eric started playing in 1927 and was part of our four in a row premierships up until 1930. He then captain & coached in 1931-2 which the club finished runners up. He also captained & coached the undefeated 1934-5 premier and champions. Again, in 1936 captained & coached the runners up. Eric was also captain & coach for the 1937-39 premierships and played in the 1939 premiership. He missed the 1940 premiership which was again the forth in a row due to the war. He enlisted in the army in WW2 and went overseas. On his return, he came back and coached the reserves once again in 1946. He held the position of senior vice president from 1947 to 1949. For his services to the country he was awarded the MBF. Eric was made a life member of our club in 1935.
Brad came to the club in 1979 from Essendon and fitted in perfectly into the side which went on to win the 1979 premiership. Brad was second in the best and fairest in 1980, and tried out at AFL level again with Essendon, Nth Melbourne and the Swans. On returning he finished 3rd best and fairest in 1985, he was appointed captain of the club in 1987 and led us to the 1988-9 premierships, reaching 100 games during 1988 and receiving the best player in the finals award 1989. Retiring as a player in 1991 he stayed around helping as reserves runner and on senior selection, he was voted captain of the clubs team of the century. Brad was made a life member in 1990 and in his honour the club has named the Best 1st year player award in his name.
Dave started his career with the club in 1945. He played mainly at centre half back with an occasional run in the ruck. It is recorded that he was one of the last association players to use the now forgotten place kick. Many clubs tried to lure him away including a very lucrative offer from Broken Hill. He reached 200 games in 1954 and went on to reach 219 which is still unbeaten and will probably never be. After retirement in 1956 he coached the U19’s for five years winning the 1961 premiership. Dave had conflicting ideas with the club regarding the North Melbourne deal thinking that eventually having the VFL club at Coburg it would ultimately become Coburg and we would be playing in the VFL. He took on the president’s role in 1973-4 and was the clubs major sponsor with his earth moving company for many years. He was a life member in 1956; it was a sad day when the news arrived of his passing. As a side our club was one of the first to play legal bingo in the state and Dave ironically won the first game played. Dave was selected in the clubs team of the century.
Vin started with our third sixteen and won the best and fairest award in 1983 in which he came 3rd in 1984. He was to play his first senior game the same year. Vin was 4th in the reserves best and fairest in 1985 he played 4 more senior games. He reached the 50 game milestone in 1988 then achieved the honour of playing in the 1988-9 premierships. He was 2nd best and fairest in 1990. Voted best club person in 1984 and went on to retire at the end on 1999 becoming the second highest games record holder with 208. Stayed on as our runner until 2003 and assisted the coaching panel in 2004. Was awarded life membership in 1992 and the club had named an award in his name as a token of appreciation.
Graham came to the club in 1963 and played with the reserves for a couple of seasons. After assisting on several sub-committees he joined the senior committee in 1967 looking after publicity, special efforts and the social club. He initiated organising bingo in 1977 which at the time was to be the big money earner for the club. Graham was elected Vice President in 1978 and went on to be president in 1981-2. During this time, he wore many hats, he became player advocate at the tribunals in 1984-9 and was elected as the director of the VFA in 1984-5. He was the club’s delicate to the VFA in 1984-9. Graham was Vice President from 1989-94,6, and then became President in 1997 when the club was in great danger of folding. Graham then went onto a more relaxing job of ground announcing in 2003 and is still currently doing the same job. He was elected as a life member in 1976 and received the Lloyd Moss award in 2008. The club has named one of the offices in respect of his services. Graham is possibly one of the greatest officials in the club’s history, he gave 50 years of is time which was all voluntarily and is a deserved member of this dedication.
Ian joined the club as a player in 1966 playing all his time in the reserves. He was interested in the social side of the club and assisted in bar work after senior games. Ian opened the old small kiosk and managed to serve hot foods for several years. He joined the senior committee in 1974 mostly working on the social side. Bingo then started and he spent two nights a week at various venues trying to get it off the ground successfully. He was elected vice president in 1978, players advocate at the tribunals from 1981-99. Took on the presidency in 1983-4, vice president again 85-91, 1999; Treasurer 1986-9 and again 1996-7. Chairman of the Board of directors 1987-8. Operated the scoreboard for all three teams from 1990-2000. Was awarded the Gillon award for services from the VFA 2001. The Lloyd Moss award in 2009 and club life membership in 1977. The club named an office in his name in respect of his services. Awarded VFL life membership 2015.
Trevor came to us from West Essendon in 1969 and slotted into a defensive role earning him a place in the 1970 premiership team. He continued to improve and in 1972 he was awarded the most improved player. He reached 50 games in 1973 and went on to play in his second premiership in 1974 Trevor reached 100 games 1978 and went on to play in the 1979 premiership. He became only one of the two triple premiership players still with us today. He retired in 1980 to further his career at Werribee, he played several years there but was still remembered as Coburg man. Trevor was never a great poler of best and fairest votes but was a great inspiration with his aggressive style of play, which certainly kept apposing forwards looking over their shoulders teammates whilst Trevor was around, the opposition were very wary of what they got up to. Trevor was made a life member of the club in 1978 and was selected in our team of the century. Trevor was inducted into the inaugural Hall of Fame in 2013, his name and performances are always linked and associated with the great players of the Coburg Club
Jim came to the club in 1960 and played in the 3rds 16. He won the best and fairest and also the Gillon Medal (the VFA best and fairest award). He left and tried himself with Carlton and North Melbourne with little success. A casual approach to football the club talked him back in 1965 to try out in the seniors. In 1967 he found his way, winning the Liston Medal the VFA’s best and fairest award. Off again to Claremont for another crack at the big time, and then returning to Coburg in 1969 still in great form taking out the Fields Trophy, VFA’s 2nd Division best and fairest award. The following year played in the 1970 premiership team. Jim played 86 as a centre man and was made a life member in 1979. Strangely he did not win a senior club award but he’s not the only player to win a B&F in both divisions as well as an underage one for VFA. One of the clubs most decorated players Jim as a member of the clubs team of the century.
Robert came to the club in 1984 from Tullamarine as a forward, as we found out he was one of the best full backs we have had. Rob won the best and fairest award in his 2nd year 1985. In 1986 after 8 rounds he was offered a chance with Footscray and left the club to give it a try. VFL wasn’t that bright and he returned in 1987 bringing up his 50th game. In 1988 rob disappointedly missed the premiership team through suspension but rallied to be part of the 1989 premiership team. Off to Subiaco in 1991 leaving us after 97 games. It wasn’t long before rob came on board the committee in 1996 and vice president in 1997. In 1998 rob was elected president which was a daunting time ahead. The club tried a liaison deal with the dying Fitzroy Football Club with the hope to getting the Victorian support this partially succeed for the first year then it was gone. The club was on its knees with a committee left of about 5 people, Rob spent hours trying got get an alliance with a VFL club. Rob made a last gasp ring around before we switched out the lights. He fell onto the Richmond Football Club who had just been let down by Williamstown as they signed with the Collingwood Football Club, after assuring the tigers they were going with them. Fortunately the new life sprung into Rob and after many meetings the deal was done and the clubs future was saved. Rob was made a life member of our club in 1999.
Rae came to the club in 1992 just to help her brother out; she took on the job of secretary and remained until the end of 2000. Rae was the type of person, where once you start something you never stop. At one stage the committee wanted her to stand as president, unfortunately it didn’t happen. These years were tough and the club was in a gradual slide, new insurance ules were invoked and Rae had the job of sorting out the best program and to get all the players registered and signed. All claims for this had to come back through her. She was basically working full time at the club as a volunteer. In 1993 she organised a ladies committee which ran shopping sprees’ chocolate drives and a fashion parade using player’s girlfriends and players. Rae organised most of the printing, even used her own paper and computer when needed. She also handled all the advertising as well as assisting in the running events. With the amount of work involved with the Fitzroy connection, the job was getting too much for a part time person and so the club went on to hire a full time manager. She stayed on to hire a full time manager. She stayed on working on the committee before calling it a day in 2001. Rae was made a life member of the club in 1998.
Norm came to the club in 1946 but due to the club’s records being vague in that time it could have been a year earlier or later. It is a shame that someone of Norms ilk, history and records have been lost in time but as a volunteer worker for the club over such a large time the club recognises today his extraordinary performance. He had the task as 1st aid attendant which he carried out until 1948, he was then appointed head trainer and held that position for the next 18 years in a voluntary role. Norm was awarded life membership in gratitude for his long service in 1951.
Laurie commenced with the club in 1975 from the St. Andrews club. Quickly established himself as a top player came runner up in the best and fairest in 1976, 4th in 1977 taking out the most determined award. Winning the best and fairest in 1978 was runner up in the Liston Trophy in 1979 and played in the premiership that year, also taking up his second best and fairest. Passed 100 games in 1980 and was appointed captain in 1981 and becoming only the second player ever to win his 3rd best and fairest. Passed the 150 game total in 1983 retiring at the end of that year with 157 games, and moved to Wangaratta to continue a great coaching career Laurie was made a life member belatedly in 2003 and as selected in our team of the century.
Ken joined the club playing as a junior in our 3rd 16 winning and 2nd best and fairest in 1984. He was awarded the best team player in 1985, which he was then placed on the senior list in 1986. Fortunately he gained a spot in the grand final team, which then was voted as the most improved player in 1987. Ken went on to play in 1988-9 premiership teams, and became runner up in the 1989 best and fairest. 1990, Ken won the best and fairest and in 1992-3 came 3rd. Reaching his 100th game in 1992, he was awarded as captain of the club, setting a great example for the other players. Ken won the best and fairest in 1996. He then reached his 150th game, which we saw the last of the “bear” playing for Coburg. Ken was made a life member in 1993. Ken was selected in our clubs team of the century.
Jim was a 6’4 ruckman who originated from Tasmania. Jim started playing for St. Kilda in the early 20’s before joining Coburg in 1925. He was a major player in the treble crowns of the 1926-7-8 premierships. He won the best and fairest award in 1928 and again in 1931. He was awarded captain in 1929-30-31. This was the time when Northcote rose to the top of the ladder. After a positive start in the VFA, the club gradually moved down the ladder. Which is the norm after a winning streak. Oddly enough when Jim was captain- coach Henry Kerly won the best and fairest. Jim played 184 games as a ruckman and was selected in our team of the century. Data on achievements unfortunately are difficult to find but Jims football record places him high on our list of recipients.
Henry (or Gary as he was called) came to Coburg as an ex Collingwood, St Kilda and Port Melbourne player in 1923. He also was the captain of Rutherglen in 1924 before arriving at Coburg during the time of its admission to the VFA in 1925. Playing in Coburg’s first ever game “harry” kicked 5 goals steering the club to victory over Geelong. Henry played in the 1926-7-8 Premiership. Henry won the best and fairest twice, in 1929 and again in 1930. He was 178cm tall weighing 73kg and played at centre half forward for 86 games and kicked 126 goals. He was selected in the clubs team of the century.
George in his own words has spent a lifetime at the club. In 1954 he would take race results and other game scores to the scoreboard for display which was done in those days. In 1960 he was involved with the 3rds taking on timekeeping for the next 23 years. He joined the senior committee in 1976 and was involved in helping run the bingo at the town hall two nights a week. Just to keep busy on Sundays he worked in the kiosk for 33 years. In the last few years George had a more relaxing role selling footy records at the gate. He was awarded the Lloyd Moss Trophy 2010 and selected for life membership in 1982. In recognition of his service the club has named the boardroom, “THE GEORGE PARRY BOARDROOM”. George sadly passed away in February this year a clubman that will surely be missed.
Our club records show Fred first joined the committee in 1949 and was elected to the position of Vice President in 1951-57 and was chairman of the kiosk committee. In 1952 Fred was awarded chairman of the social club. He had a target of L1300 to find, being a well organised group they attained that amount. In the following seasons, the group raised an enormous amount to assist the club. Fred amongst other tasks took up the role of assistant secretary in 1956-8, he didn’t see a lot of the football the tasks of raising funds took priority, working the gates until ¾ time and helping the kiosk when required. When we were sold out to North Melbourne he came on deck as assistant secretary in 1965 and put he many hours walking the streets letter box dropping leaflets to rid us of the council members that gave the grounds away. Fred held that position until 1976. Fred was made a life member in 1952, he basically retired with over 50 years services to the club.
“Snowy” came to the club in 1925 from Carlton and had an immediate impact. He played as a wingman in both 1926-7 premierships winning the clubs best & fairest in the VFA’s Recorder Cup (equivalent to the Liston) in 1927. He left to try his luck elsewhere but returned in 1931 and again won the best & fairest in 1932 playing a total of 78 games for the club. Once again records of these years have been difficult to find, but his impact in the periods he played left indelible memories of what players of that era went through but inevitably returned to the club that gave them a chance.
Clarrie came to the club in 1961 winning the best clubman award for the whole club and the best utility player for the reserves. In 1961 Clarrie was elected as cptain of the VFA reserves team which played a combined team from the mountain districts. He went on to win the reserves best & fairest in 1962. 23 senior games but many more reserves. He joined the club committee in 1979 through to 1990, he organised various half time events to amuse the crowd such as kicking contests and junior games from local schools. He was our clubs junior development officer and took on running the 3rds as coach, assistant coach and team manager for 10 years. As junior development officer he coached under age teams in the VFA organised night series which included U12, U14 and U16. The VFA took him on to select the North V South 3rds representative teams Clarrie was a selector of the team of the century and he was made a life member in 1984.
Alan came on board with the club in 1984 assisting with our 3rds team. He joined the senior committee in 1987 but his main interests remained with our younger players. He was manager in the 3rds in 1988 premiership as well as looking after their property, also to raise funds for the thirds the club gave the kiosk to them so they could find finance themselves, Alan took a large part of this. Alan took on the role of property steward in 1990 and has held the position through to 2016. He was elected vice president in 1995-6 and was elected a life member of the club in 1993 and in 2007 he received the Lloyd Moss Trophy. In 2008 was elected a club director and in 2009 vice president.
Mick came to the club in 1968 as a player from Richmond, unfortunately received a severe facial injury after only 4 games that season and was not able to play the rest of the year. In 1969 he was appointed senior coach and he immediately set the example of discipline, and fitness and demanded it of all creating the respect of players and officials. The team reached the finals but after leading the field all season dropped both games and were out. The disappointment of the previous year was passed and with a few new local players the side rejuvenated itself into a powerhouse respected by all, going on to win the 1970 premiership the first in 42 years. Mick again played an inspirational role having a severe facial wounds led the team home. Dedication, teamwork and desperation were Micks trademarks. He coached on in first division through 1971-2 winning the club best and fairest award, but the club struggled with the lack of players for success. He moved to Port Melbourne to play in a flag. Mick was selected in the clubs team of the century and he made a wonderful contribution to our clubs history.
Kevin came to the club as a junior and played in the 3rd 16 in 1971, he finished 3rd in the best and fairest. Continuous improvement won him 1972 best and fairest award for the club and also the Gillon Medal for the VFA competition. He was placed on the senior list and in 1973 was runner-up in the reserves best and fairest. Taking out the most improved player award earned him a place in the 1974 premiership team. Kevin left in 1975 to try out at East Fremantle but was to return to us during 1976 and going on to win the reserves best and fairest in 1977. In 1978 he won the clubs outstanding services award and also reached his 50th game. Kevin continued on through 1979 missing out on the selection in the premier side he moved on to Werribee in 1980 after completing 70 games in the clubs seniors. Back again as senior runner in 1988-91 including two premierships years in 1988-9. Coached the reserves in 1992-3 then took the senior job in 1994-5. Moved away again, but he cant stay away and is currently on the club’s board. Kevin was made a life member in 1990 displaying a wonderful record of loyalty and dedication over some 4 decades.
Came to the club in 1970 from Carlton Football Club. Success in his first season followed, with a 4th in the best and fairest and playing in the premiership team kicking 52 goals for the year. Another premiership in the 1974 reserves who were undefeated Kerion won the best and fairest for the club and also the VFA competition. Kerion moved on to finish his career in the VFA with Camberwell, played 42 senior games kicking 67 goals for Coburg, returning to coach the reserves team in 1994. He joined the past players committee and eventually took on the role of president in 2003 a position he still holds. Kerion stood down for a couple of years but remained as vice president in an endeavour to attract more people to get involved. He has been the main drive behind reunions for all the teams’ particular the 1970 side. He was made a life member of the club in 2010 for his some 35 years of service in an effort to keep the club on top.
Robert or as he prefers “Patchy” came to us in 1947, the club was struggling in those years after the war. He and his brother Henry were regular players with the club, Patchy passed his 100th game during the 1953 season going on to reach 137 games. A very consistent performer on the field winning best utility player awards on three occasions and the best team player awards. Club records for this period were misplaced when North came but I’m sure Patchy would recall many events that happened in his time. After retirement as a player Patchy took on the task as a trainer and acted in that capacity for some 17 years and was also working for the council as groundsman of the city oval, just couldn’t keep away. Patchy was awarded life membership in 1960.
Ray came to us in 1956 but a clearance dispute prevented him playing until the following season. He had games with Richmond under 18’s but he didn’t want to play seconds so he headed off to play with Loch in the Wonthaggi league. He played cricket with Barney Jones who was a Coburg footballer and he suggested he join him, an immediate success winning the 1957 best first year player and representing the VFA representative side at the Tasmanian Carnival in 1960-1 and 1962. Ray won the clubs best and fairest 1959-60-1 the only player to win three in a row and was one of two to win the award three times. He captained the senior side in 1961-2. He retired after breaking an arm in 1962 and making a couple of small comebacks in the finals of 1963. He then captained the side 1961 & 1962. Ray retired on 98 games and 169 goals. He was selected in our team of the century and history tells us he went on to become one of the greatest under age coaches in the history of the VFL taking Richmond’s thirds to 5 premierships. Unfortunately we lost Ray late last year, an all-time great of the Coburg Football Club.
Linton came to the club in 1973 with good credentials as an accountant and took up the role as treasurer. During this time he had great pleasure running functions to draw money from anyone who came along. He drew the nickname “scrooge” as he wouldn’t part with the club money unless there was a good reason which he believed true. The books passed all requirements of the VFA. He was a major contributor to the organising of Bingo in 1977 when it was first legalised. After standing down for a few years he was enticed back to the job in 1992 until 1995. A lapse occurred through to 1998 / 99 and acted as an assistant treasurer in between. He was and still is an inaugural member of our coterie group and was awarded the Lloyd Moss award in 2011 and made a life member of the club in 1994.
Lance joined the club in 1935 from the Mallee town of Beulah. In his second season in 1936, he kicked 116 goals becoming the top goal kicker in the VFA and earned selection in the VFA representative team. His best was 16 against Sandringham. Melbourne attempted to get him in 1938 but a dispute between clubs saw Lance miss the last half of the season. 1939 the problems were sorted and Lance played for us kicking 108 goals and being runner up in our best and fairest. He was appointed captain coach in 1940 and he played out at centre and half forward as Bob Pratt was at full forward, he got 73 goals in 1941 from centre half forward and took the club into finals, also winning the best and fairest. His career spanned 98 games kicking 423 goals. Unfortunately play was on halt in 1942-44 due to the war. Lance then moved to Carlton in 1942, unfortunately had a dispute over finances, however it was eventually resolved. In 1947 Coburg was very persistent to have him back at the club, unfortunately a sponsorship arrangement fell through and we lost the opportunity. Lance was selected in the clubs team of the century and was said to be one of the greatest players to represent the club.
Gary came to us from East Keilor in 1980, in his first year with the reserves he finished 3rd in the best and fairest and 2nd in 1981. Proving he could play he went on to in the senior best and fairest in 1982. Gary had the opposition coaches having to try and allocate players to tag him, which is rare as Gary played most of his game as a back pocket. He then went on to try AFL with Essendon in 1983, unfortunately returned in 1985. He became 3rd in the 1986 best and fairest then went on to not only win the clubs best and fairest but also took out Liston Trophy for the best and fairest in the VFA. Gary played in the 1988-9 premierships, resulting in 3rd position in 1989 and 2nd in 1992 as best and fairest. When he retired he had played 159 games and was selected in the clubs team of the century, he was awarded life membership to our club in 1991. Gary was one of Coburg’s all-time great players.
Frank joined the committee in 1961, unfortunately a group of committee people sold the club out and the council allocated the ground to North Melbourne for the season 1965. We had to relocate and trained at Brunswick and played games at Port Melbourne. Frank took up the challenge as President and with a new committee, he walked the streets of Coburg campaigning against the councillors that voted us off. The result was that 8 councillor members lost their seats, meaning that the new people voted in, tossed the North Melbourne off and reinstated us to the oval. In appreciation of his hard work and countless hours of volunteer work, the club awarded him life membership, as he saved the club from extinction. Frank continued on as President until 1972. If it wasn’t for people like Frank our club would have gone under forty years ago.
Clarrie, came to the club from East Brunswick, in 1925 when the club was admitted. He was one of the first players to represent the club to the VFA. Clarrie won the best and fairest award in 1925-6 and played in our first premiership team in 1926. Unfortunately he missed out on the 1927 premiership due to injury. He was injured during the time of the preliminary final, which Coburg lost. However in those days the top side were a very challenging opposition which resulted in Coburg winning the ultimate grand final. Back in the side in 1928 he went on with 25 goals in the season to again play for Coburg, winning the premiership. Clarrie was made a life member in 1935, being one of the first players to ever receive that distinction. On retirement in 1936 Clarrie had played 160 games and kicked 278 goals. Clarrie was recently honoured by being selected in our team of the century, an all time champion rover for the club.
Brian came across from Essendon in 1981 as a hard at it rover, opposition players soon found out how hard. He missed quite a few games at the wrath of the umpires but whilst he was around other players seemed to grow another leg. He won the most determined award in 1983, reached his 50th in 1984. Was selected on many occasions to represent the VFA in carnival matches. Played his 100th games in 1989 and went on to play in the premiership side in 1988 and 1989. His ability was recognised when he was selected in our team of the century; Brian played in 174 games and kicked 150 goals in his long tough career. Brian was made a life member in 1990 a great club person.
Anthony came to us in 1991 from Footscray; he was awarded the best in the finals trophy for our reserve team in his first year. In 1992 he excelled winning our senior side best & fairest and was runner up in 1993-4. He was appointed captain of the club in 1997 and held that position till 2000. He represented the VFA on numerous occasions and was elected captain of the representative VFA team that played in Tasmania. In recent years the VFL have utilised his talent as a selector for the representative teams. During his time “Cess” topped our goal kicking on no less than 5 occasions, a club record even though he wasn’t the full forward. Unfortunately the club was at an extreme low at the time but he was stuck showing tremendous loyalty in tough times. He was awarded life membership in 1999.
The club was fortunate to get Bryon on board in 1965, the year the council sold us out to North Melbourne. Bryan set to recognise the club which after playing finals in 1964 lost 12 of the players from that side. In 1966 he stood and won a seat on council which gave the club great representation where it counted. 1972 he was elected mayor of Coburg which strengthened our position. Bryan held the postion of secretary right through to 1979, which saw us win 3 premierships he was the clubs delegate on the VFA board and was made a life member of the VFA, also he was decorated with the Order of Australia for services to the community and made a life member of our club in 1970.
Jack began his career in 1924-5 with South Melbourne before coming to Coburg in 1926. A wise choice as the club won the premiership and then went on to win the 1927 and 28 flags giving him a triple crown. Unfortunately he also won the Triple Crown in the 1932-3-4 as runner-up all three times to Northcote; he was captain of the 1934 grand final team. But history has Jack as the most capped grand final player for our club (6). Jack played 191 games being the now 4th highest on record for our club. For his services he was awarded life membership in 1936 and was elected to our team of the century. He went on to coach West Coburg in 1937 capping off a brilliant and outstanding career.
Maurie came to us in 1969 from Carlton, proving his worth he won the best & fairest in his first year, again in 1970 running 3rd was an integral member of the 1970 premiership team. Again in 1971 he won the best & fairest and also was the clubs leading goal kicker, placing 3rd in the Liston Tropy for te season.1973 amazingly ran 3rd in the reserves best & fairest playing only 4 games. Voted the most effective player in 1974 and again played a large role in the premiership team, passing his 100th game during the season. Runner-up in the 1975 best & fairest Maurie played 129 games and kicked 213 goals; he retired to Eltham club in 1976 leaving behind a memorable and brilliant record.
Colin came to the club in 1975 to coach a reserve team that had just won the second division premiership. He set about the task introducing his own style and in his first season won the premiership making Coburg the first and only club to win back to back premierships coming up from second division. He went on to win again in 1976 which was a lot different and difficult as the club had just appointed a new playing coach. Being successful in his first two years saw Colin take on the senior role in 1977, bring a fast play on style of football which was proving to be a winner, unfortunately the club lost out in the preliminary final. Recruiting some fresh young players locally he blended his ideas and as the season rolled on everything was coming together but we were just short of playing finals. The ideas and hard work paid off and the premiership was won year and looked good for a second after leading all day but were unable to defeat Port Melbourne. Colin moved on to coach North Melbourne reserves then to the senior jobs at Sydney Swans and Carlton. Colin was made a life member of our club in 1980 leaving a great contribution to our clubs history.
The former Collingwood footballer spent several years at the Coburg City Oval culminating in an impressive resume including Reserves' best and fairest awards and runner up in the 1987 Senior best and fairest.
Keith came to the club from Merlynston Football Club in 1948. He was immediately a success as a full back. By 1950 Keith had played his 50th game and won the clubs best and fairest award. 1951 he was awarded the most consistent player trophy. Passing 100 games in 1953 picking up the most effective trophy. In 1954 he kicked his first goal for the club after 129 games. 1956 he was given the best clubman award and passed the 150 game milestone. He retired after playing 166 games for the club mostly a full back and playing on many famous forwards in the VFA in those days. He returned to coach the thirds in 1964 for the one year tried again with the thirds in 1974 finished runner-up a prelim in 1975 and his last year as coach 1976. He was made a life member of our club in 1958. During his time he was attracted in 1954 to play with both Essendon and Carlton but our club refused a clearance on the grounds that he was a defiantly required player.